What We Believe
Essentials of the Faith
We desire to faithfully teach and proclaim the Word of God. We consider the following to be core, foundational beliefs:
- God’s Word is infallible and inerrant. This means that the Bible is true and correct in its statements and without error. God is the author of the Bible and He used humans to write and record Scripture.
- God is Trinity. This means that there is One God existing in three distinct persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- God created the world and everything in it and it was good.
- God created every human being in His image and each person possesses infinite value and worth.
- Though we are made in God’s image, all of us have sinned against God.
- Jesus Christ, the Son of God, lived a sinless life, died for our sins, and rose again from the dead.
- God calls us to repentance and faith. These are both gifts from God; we do not depend on works to make ourselves right with God. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ alone.
- The Holy Spirit lives in every believer and equips them to live and give glory to God.
- God created marriage between one man and one woman and created each life with intrinsic value.
- Baptism and communion are in accordance with the Augsburg Confession and Luther’s Small Catechism. This means we baptize infants and believe that in communion, God is present in a special way to assure us of forgiveness of sins.
- The Apostles’, Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds summarize the Christian faith and the truth about the work of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
You can also read about our core values.
Who We Are
Living Word is a Bible-believing Lutheran church. We began as a church plant in 2002 with a small group of people meeting in a school cafeteria in Sioux Falls. In 2009, we built our current location in southwest Sioux Falls.
Our Mission: Proclaiming the Living Word, Serving the Living God
We believe that God’s Word is living and active (Hebrews 4:12) and the primary means by which He communicates with us today. Jesus, the Word made flesh that dwelt among us (John 1), came to earth and was crucified but did not remain dead. He is both the Living Word and the Living God.
Living Word is dedicated to equipping people to grow in Christ and seeking salvation for our fellow man.
At Living Word, you will be encouraged by the gospel of Jesus, experience community, and grow spiritually as we serve the Lord together!
Living Word belongs to the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations. To learn more information, click the button below.